This is the policy relating to the Coate area and please note that there is no proposed protected buffer of land next to the south of Coate Water Site of Special Scientific Interest.
· affordable homes in accordance with Policy HA2;
· 15 hectares of employment land within use-class B1 and/or B2
· a local centre of a maximum of 1000m2 retail floorspace ;
· a primary school (or 1 form-of-entry) incorporating community facilities;
· contributions towards the delivery of 1 form of entry secondary school places off-site;
· temporary accommodation to manage the demographic peak at primary, and contributions as such at secondary schools;
· Green Infrastructure in accordance with Policy EN1 and which connects to the urban area and wider countryside ;
· sport, leisure and community facilities in accordance with Policy CM2;
· high quality public realm;
· a community wide approach to renewable energy; and
· 5.5 hectares of land safeguarded for future expansion of the Great Western Hospital, incorporating provision for emergency services if required.
c. Development at Commonhead shall provide sustainable transport links that integrate with Swindon including:
· public transport links to Swindon town centre;
· walking and cycle links to Swindon’s existing communities, Coate Water Country Park and Great Western Hospital; and
· access to the site from Marlborough Road.
· views to and from the North Wessex Downs AONB and Coate Water Country Park;
· protection of the existing historic environment, including the setting of listed buildings and on-site archaeological features
· habitat connectivity and enhanced biodiversity
f. The route for the Wilts & Berks Canal as set out on the Proposals Map will be safeguarded and protected from development.
5.39 Commonhead will be a sustainable community in terms of design, transport, construction, energy and waste management in accordance with other policies in this Local Plan.
Key Design Principles
Delivery and links with other key policies and strategies